|Title||MacTavish & Lehmann, Chemists and Druggists - Hongkew Medical Hall|
|Caption in album or on mount||Manuscript on the back of the photograph: "These Buildings were designed by and erected under the supervision of Mr. F. G. Drewitt while in the employ of Messrs Atkinson & Dallas of Shanghai"; Dated 14th October 1908, and signed Philip Peebles, Manager. FSI.|
|Image type||Black and white photograph|
|Private Repository||Raymond Forward - Penzance, UK|
|Note(s)||This photograph was commissioned by Frederick Drewitt to take back to Britain to show the work he had done in Shanghai. Mr. Drewitt worked in Shanghai for 7 years or so, before returning to Britain to join an architectural practice in Penzance, Cornwall UK. Mr. Drewitt is mentioned in a book about Penzance:  THE HISTORY OF THE TOWN AND BOROUGH OF PENZANCE - P.A.S. Poole. The Corporation of Penzance. - 1974 (pp. 201-202) for designing large detached houses in 1923, St John's House in 1934 and rebuilt bomb damaged houses in 1948. Mr. Drewitt passed away in 1958.
The building adjoins the Shanghai Tramways Offices as in photograph [ID19964]. The Medical Hall was completed before the Tramways Offices (under construction in this photo). The small shop to the left of the hall is unoccupied, but is occupied in the photograph [ID19964] of the Tramways Offices by The Eastern Produce and Jewellery Co. To the right of the Medical Hall, are two shops, Havana Cigar Depot and Broadway Drapery & Outfitting Stores.|
|Keyword(s) [en]||building ; shop ; drugs ; chemistry ; police ; rickshaw ; tobacco ; drapery ; Drewitt|