AND
5802 documents
2334/5802 results        
Description
Image ID5438
TitleChinese Maritime Customs House (second building)
CollectionVirtual Shanghai
LocationShanghai IS
Date1898
Estimated date1898-1901
Image typeBlack and white photograph
Material form
of image
Paper
Private RepositoryElizabeth Lillicrap
Note(s)The first building of the Imperial Maritime Customs was erected in 1857. It was in the form of a Chinese temple and was characteristic of the yamens (imperial offices) built at that time. The building was demolished in 1891 and a new Customs House was built. It was a brick building with a centrally placed five-story clock tower (33 m). Its red brick wall with facings of green stone were reminiscent of a British town hall in the Tudor style. Eventually, a new building was erected in 1925-1927, also with a clock-tower. When the latter was demolished, the old clock "Big Ben" was put into the present tower. (Fletcher, 1987, 1239)
Keyword(s) [en]building ; customs ;
Street nameBund
Repository
Building
Event description
computeNbBuilding1
Image

Preview Image
dbImage_ID-5438_No-1.jpeg

Get original resolution
Unknown buildingED.jpg (245.55 ko)

File information
- size: 245.55 ko
- type: image/jpeg

2334/5802 results        
 
© 2003-2016 IrAsia - Projet Director: Pr. Christian Henriot
Site created by Gérald Foliot with webActors - Hosted by TGIR Huma-num
The site is part of the Virtual Cities Project: Beijing - Hankou - Saigon - Shanghai - Suzhou - Tianjin - Wenzhou - Zhejiang
Select language : English | 简体字 | 繁體字


Page rendering in 0.027s