AND
5804 documents
2977/5804 results        
Description
Image ID17607
TitleShanghai Club (1867-68)
CollectionVirtual Shanghai
LocationShanghai IS
Year1867
Date1867
Image typePainting
Material form
of image
Paper
Note(s)The Shanghai Club was the most exclusive club in Shanghai. It was established in 1864 firstly as a four-storeyed building in the so-called 'East-India style' (or neo-colonial). The old building was demolished in 1908. The new Club opened in 1911 as a seven-storyed building in Neo-classical style. The main marble-floored hall, over 40 feet high, has six Ionic columns which would have fitted right in with London's club scene. On the upper floors were a card room, a writing room, dining room, a ballroom, and above that a number of bedrooms for resident members. All floors were linked by twin elevators which ascended in the middle of the curving marble staircase. The club was most famous for its Long Bar, reputedly the longest in the world. Source: North-China Herald, Feb 20, 1909, pp. 433-4, 453-4; Jan 13, 1911, pp. 61, 77-81
Keyword(s) [en]building ; club ; leisure ; entertainment
Source(s)
Building
Event description
computeNbBuilding1
Image

Preview Image
dbImage_ID-17607_No-1.jpeg

Get original resolution
F-1867.jpg (66.94 ko)

File information
- size: 66.94 ko
- type: image/jpeg

2977/5804 results        
 
© 2003-2021 IrAsia - Projet Director: Pr. Christian Henriot
Site created by Gérald Foliot with webActors - Hosted by TGIR Huma-num
The site is part of the Virtual Cities Project: Beijing - Hankou - Saigon - Shanghai - Suzhou - Tianjin - Wenzhou - Zhejiang
Select language : English | 简体字 | 繁體字


Page rendering in 0.075s