|Notes||The Shanghai Club was the most exclusive club in Shanghai. It was established in 1864 firstly as a four-storeyed building in the so-called 'East-India style' (or neo-colonial). The old building was demolished in 1908. The new Club opened in 1911 as a seven-storyed building in Neo-classical style. The main marble-floored hall, over 40 feet high, has six Ionic columns which would have fitted right in with London's club scene. On the upper floors were a card room, a writing room, dining room, a ballroom, and above that a number of bedrooms for resident members.
All floors were linked by twin elevators which ascended in the middle of the curving marble staircase. The club was most famous for its Long Bar, reputedly the longest in the world.
Source: North-China Herald, Feb 20, 1909, pp. 433-4, 453-4; Jan 13, 1911, pp. 61, 77-81|